News & Special Offers
Our Own Equine Supplement Range
Now available at the hospital
FOAL GASTRIC PASTE
For horses suffering from gastric disturbances exhibiting as depressed appetite, weight loss, poor performance or cribbing Gastric disturbances are of concern to the trainers, breeders and owners of all performance horses. One such disturbance, Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome (EGuS) has become more prominent in recent years. Performance horses are at exceptional risk, with up to 93% of racehorses and 60% of other performance horses found to have ulcers on endoscopic examination. The reason for this high prevalence of gastric ulcers can be attributed to:
- Intermittent feeding
- High concentrate/low forage diet
- Stall confinement
- Exercise induced stress
Foal Gastric Paste contains:
- Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium Hydroxide: alkaline materials which neutralize excessive pH’s.
- Seaweed Extract: creates a floating raft of gel which helps to protect the non glandular part of the stomach from acid.
- form a food substrate for the beneficial bacteria in the hind gut.
- Fructo-oligosaccharides are recognised to stimulate growth of desirable bacteria which can result in a positive relationship between bacteria and host.
- Fructo-oligosaccharides can remain available as substrates for microbial populations to utilise, and thus promote increased intestinal efficiency.
- Glutamine: an important amino acid for repair of epithelial cells.
- Threonine: An amino acid, restriction of which may limit intestinal mucin synthesis.
- Slippery Elm:
- rich in mucilage it will soothe inflammation internally.
- used to soothe the digestive tract for ulceration and colitis.
- it is an easily assimilated food particularly in young foals and elderly horses.
- The action of slippery elm is gentle and will not harm the most sensitive of horses.
- When slippery elm preparations are taken internally they cause reflex stimulation of nerve endings in the gastrointestinal tract, leading to mucus secretion. For this reason it is effective for the protection against stomach ulcers , colitis and gut inflammation.
- The mucilage of slippery elm is a demulcent and emollient to the digestive system. A demulcent is an ingredient that is able to form a soothing layer over mucous membrane, gastric mucosa, and therefore provides a soothing action. An emollient soothes and softened by preventing water loss.
If your Veterinary Surgeon diagnoses Gastric ulceration they may recommend a course of medical treatment. Gastric Paste can be a useful nutritional adjunct:
- After completion of the recommended treatment feed two 80g servings per day for 14 days (one 80g serving in the morning prior to feeding, and one 80g serving prior to the afternoon/evening feed).
- Can also be fed for maintenance of a healthy digestive tract by feeding one 80g serving per day (40g in the morning prior to feeding, and 40g prior to the afternoon/evening feed). Alternatively as a maintenance nutritional adjunct feed 100g of Veterinary Gastric Supplement pellets per day divided between the meals.
VETERINARY GASTRIC SUPPLEMENT:
An equine nutritional supplement suitable for feeding to horses displaying signs of gastric ulcers.
A unique supplement for daily feeding to horses prone to gastric disturbances. Veterinary Gastric Supplement will assist in maintaining optimum gut health and function, allowing maximum utilisation of feed. Veterinary Gastric Supplement supplies a unique formulation of prebiotics, amino acids, seaweed extract and specific minerals necessary to aid in the recovery and maintenance of a healthy digestive tract. It is supplied in a convenient pelleted formulation.
VETERINARY HAEMO TONIC:
Veterinary Haemo Tonic is a palatable Iron, B-Complex and Cobalt enriched syrup on a Sorbitol base.
A premium Iron Enriched B vitamin syrup. It also contains Sorbitol, which enhances the serum concentrations that result from the oral administration of Vitamin B12. Competition horses need dietary supplementation of B complex vitamins and Iron, as these nutrients are needed for red blood cell formation and important metabolic functions relating to exercise. Veterinary Haemo Tonic will supply these nutrients to fortify and strengthen performance horses, which will ensure that their full athletic potential is expressed in competition.
Hoof Supplement provides all the nutrients necessary to protect and nourish every layer within the hoof horn. This sulphur enriched formula will ensure that important nutrients are supplied to the horse’s diet, to optimise hoof growth and improve integrity of the hoof. It contains a concentrated source of the sulphur rich amino acid Methionine and the sulphur rich nutrient MSM. Keratin Sulphate, the structural component of the hoof horn has a high sulphur content. It contains a very high level of Biotin 37.5mg per daily serving. Also included are Calcium, essential for cohesion in the hoof wall, Zinc which is required for healing of all epidermal tissue and other amino acids which are the building blocks of protein. This product is guaranteed to bring results after 150 days or there is a ‘no quibble’ money back guarantee!
VETERINARY JOINT AID PLUS:
A veterinary strength mobility feed supplement which combines the nutritional benefits of Glucosamine HCL, Chondroitin Sulphate and Bioavailable Sulphur. Fed as recommended it will enhance the level of glycosaminoglycans(GAGs) in the joint. These are the building blocks of the cartilage matrix. High levels of Chondroitin Sulphate in the formula act as a “water magnet” in the joint allowing it to withstand constant compression and concussion. Performance horses are pre-disposed to increased wear and tear on their joints. This can lead to an imbalance between the production and breakdown of cartilage tissue. When the rate of breakdown exceeds the rate of production, cartilage tissue will begin to break-up causing erosion of the cartilage matrix.
This can lead to serious problems, such as; osteoarthritis, degenerative joint disease and articular lesions in the cartilage tissue. Veterinary Joint Aid Plus provides the components necessary for the nutritional maintenance of a healthy cartilage matrix.
An equine nutritional supplement promoting digestive and gastric health. Complementary feedstuff for horses.
Supplements vitamins and other nutrients to support digestion and gastric health. Use during and after antibiotic treatment, during digestive disorders and incidence of diarrhoea, following deworming or times of stress. Veterinary Probiotic is also available in a concentrated paste for foals and horses.
Please call Jan on 01902 424725 for further information